Wednesday, February 20

Food: Kouign Amann


Pronounced as queen a-mahn, this yummy dessert hails from Brittany, France. It is the specialty of the best French bistro in the city, Brasserie CiÇou. Kouign Amann, literally means butter cake, in Breton. It is caramelized laminated sweet dough that is similar to puff pastry if you ask me.

My one and only run-in with Kouign Amann is the one I had at Brasserie CiÇou, and I think it is excellent. I've been wanting to make some but I am intimated of using yeast. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through my baker readers who can tell me if these recipe links I'll be posting are good.

Braserrie CiÇou's menu actually spells it Kouing-Aman. But in other websites, it is Kouign Amann. I am not sure which one is correct. I've posted about Braserrie CiÇou yesterday here if you want to read about it. Anyway, just look at the photo below. They serve it with yummy salted caramel ice cream and some lacy cookie. Okay I am now salivating just by looking at it.


Here are some promising recipes you have to try if you're a fan of Kouign Amann.

* David Leibovitz has tips on how to make the best Kouign Amann, and his recipe comes with photos too.
* The Purple Foodie has step-by-step photos that go with the recipe. They look like cinnamon rolls.
* Chef Eddy Van Damme's recipe for 10.

Have fun!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. your torturing never ends Mommy G!!!! This looks oh-so yummy on screen already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 AM

    I'm excited to visit Brasserie CiÇou again :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...